Curitiba Ecocity Festival
The Curitiba Ecocity Festival was an experiment organised in 2017 by Ecocity Curitiba in Curitiba, Brazil. It was a self-organised parallel event that coincided with the 2017 World Ecocity Summit, which was organised by Ecocity Builders in Melbourne, Australia. It lasted 5 days, from Wednesday the 12th of July till Sunday the 16th. The action had both global and local aspects, simultaneously. It had 14 events, 160 participants and more than 30 different groups helped co create or participate in the programme.
Origins of the Curitiba Ecocity Festival
For two decades the main group group promoting Ecocities have been Ecocity Builders. Since 1990 when Richard Register set up the first International Ecocity Conference in Berkeley, USA, they have been running, mostly, biannual Ecocity World Summits. For the 2017 World Ecocity Summit, Ecocity Curitiba contacted Ecocity Builders with a proposal to create a global multi nodal event through live streaming technologies, by requesting local communities and cities to set up their own local event while the main event was happening in Melbourne, Australia.
The Curitiba Ecocity Festival
- Curitiba’s experiment
The Curitiba Ecocity Festival was an experiment organised in 2017 by Ecocity Curitiba in Curitiba, Brazil. It was a self organised parallel event to the 2017 World Ecocity Summit, which was organized by Ecocity Builders in Melbourne, Australia. It lasted 5 days, from Wednesday the 12th of July till Sunday the 16th. The action had both global and local aspects, simultaneously. It had 14 events, 160 participants and more than 30 different groups helped co create or participate in the programme.
The action had both global and local aspects, simultaneously. Globally, It was an experimental, positive provocation as to how Global Forums can become multinodal with greatly increased levels of participation, leading to greater and quicker urban transformation with the construction of an expanded global Ecocity network. Inspired by Hackathons and other dynamics, organisers felt that technology could be used to a far greater degree, facilitating livestreams, live radio transmissions and multi nodal discussions and joint actions about different issues. Locally, the objective was to explore the idea of how to Fix The City, an open invitation to actors in the city to come together, share ideas, identify problems and possible solutions together, with secondary objectives being;
to identify solutions to today’s urban problems and construct pathways for necessary change in the city, through bottom-up, community led solutions. Secondary objectives were to examine and support local solutions, develop tools to identify who is currently doing what and where in the city, improve interconnection between actors, facilitate greater public participation, investigate the physical city more deeply, push the limits of the use of technology and dialogue, build and share visions of what sustainable futures might look like, explore how new jobs in an ecological economy can be created, use free social community events in public spaces as tools for change, including picnics. In short, to change the culture surrounding the idea of what an Ecocity is, in Curitiba, through theory and practice in an open, attractive, inclusive, accessible and social way. Nearly 40 different groups participated to varying degrees. Curitiba invited other world cities to participate in a similar manner, Santiago in Chile organised a similar event. There is no reason why every world city should not be able to get organised and participate for the next World Ecocity Summit, in 2019 in Vancouver, Canada, from the mayors offices to the smallest of local groups, all working to the same goal. This is the dream, which the Curitiba group is now developing tools to facilitate, as well as continuing to strengthen the connections between the local groups of last week, through cultural events until then. Curitiba is not an Ecocity today, but it is opening the pathway to be so soon.
An important aspect was in attempting to create a truly diverse meeting of people and ideas, but also in the physical locations beyond the comfort of the safer city centre. The festival of 5 days included 14 events, 15 separate locations, 39 groups helping organize or participate and 160 participants. A bikeride went from Curitiba to Fazendinha in the periphery. During the “Walk for a 100% edible city”, a native fruit tree was planted in the Cristo Rei community garden to celebrate their previous nights victory.
- Daily Themes
- Technology and Economy.
- Nature and Food.
- Community and Change.
- Culture and Public Spaces.
- Water and Mobility.
- Ideas raised during the week
- Green areas
- Economy, including jobs
- Public spaces
- Participating groups
- 350 / Fundação Cooperlivre Arayara / No Fracking Brazil
- ASCESME – Associação dos Comerciantes Estabelecidos do Mercado Municipal de Curitiba (Municipal Food Market Curitiba, traders association)
- Barbara Becker Arquitetura
- Bicicletaria Cultural
- BiciRio (Bike ride along river group)
- Casa da Videira (Non-profit organization, urban agriculture)
- Cicloiguacu – Cycling activist group
- Code for Curitiba (sort?)
- Curitiba Lixo Zero (Zero waste Curitiba – collective from civil society)
- Curitiba 2035 (20 year vision plan for city, by mayors office and civil society groups: Comunitas, Sistema FIEP, Instituto Arapyaú)
- Dudders Beer and Cake (supported the outdoor film night¬)
- Eco neighbourhood project, Sao Paulo
- Ecocity Builders
- Ecocity group Curitiba
- Ecomanda Turismo Ambiental (Private company)
- Escritorio Verde (The Green Office – UTFPR, university – academic )
- Garibaldis e Sacis (Carnaval Block) + Bloco Burlesco Cachorras
- Gisele, Photographer
- Goura vereador, GT meio ambiente (City councillor environment group)
- Horta Comunitária de calçada Cristo Rei (Cristo Rei footpath Community Garden)
- Isso não é um Vazio Urbano (architectural action group – This is not an Urban Vacant space))
- IEH – Instituto Energetica Humana (pedalled powered juice machine)
- Jardim na Rua Conselheiro Carrao (Street garden with Banana trees)
- Jupter (Private company)
- Labarintho books, Luca, Labirinto pedagogy space
- MUSA (Movimento Unificada Socio-Ambiental)
- Multiplica – cultivando a sabedoria da terra (NGO) (Multiply – cultivating the wisdom of the earth)
- Pachamama ONG (Mother Earth NGO)
- Parque Gomm (Community struggle against road construction in public space)
- Praça Ciclista – co created public space in centre
- Quintana – Eco gastronomia Cultural – Health food restaurant in Curitiba, Brazil
- Rosangela Aruja – Universidade Positivo design
- Sara Bonfim, Film maker: Não só sereias ou faunos (not only sirens and fauns), Valentinna filmes
- Sociedade Global (ONG)
- Projecto RIos – JPD (Project from Sociedade Global)
- Subtropikal (Curitiba festival about Urban Creativity)
- Various food stalls in municipal market, organic and conventional
- UTFPR – Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná (Federal Technical University of Parana)
- *** (Japenese company based in Brazil, wish their name withheld)
Beyond and after Curitiba
Nearly 40 different groups participated to varying degrees in the 2017 Curitiba experiment. Curitiba invited other world cities to participate in a similar manner, Santiago in Chile organised a similar event. Organisers were keen to develop this multi nodal network community, or movement in future years:
There is no reason why every world city should not be able to get organised and participate for the next World Ecocity Summit, in 2019 in Vancouver, Canada, from the mayors offices to the smallest of local groups, all working to the same goal. This is the dream, which the Curitiba group is now developing tools to facilitate, as well as continuing to strengthen the connections between the local groups of last week, through cultural events until then. Curitiba is not an Ecocity today, but it is opening the pathway to be so soon.
Despite attempts to create such a project during Ecocity Summit 2019 in Vancouver, it did not materialize finally, but initial talks happened between Ecocity Builders, Ecocity Lisboa and Urbana Portugal about possible future collaborations. Lahti in Finland will be the EGCA European "Green Capital" of Europe in 2021, in a lead up to this are having an "Ecocity Forum 2020" event in September. Lisbon is the EGCA European "Green Capital" of Europe for 2020, so good opportunities exist for possible actions to build on the Curitiba experiment, especially since the 2018 Call for Action by EGCA for the creation of a "green movement" of active citizens to create Sustainable Cities in Europe:
The call for action, which was signed on 23 November in the European Green Capital 2018, Nijmegen (Netherlands), aims to inspire cities worldwide to become more sustainable and climate-resilient by creating a green movement.
Opening the signing meeting, Mayor Bruls of Nijmegen said:
Cities have to create networks and become more involved in creating and implementing national and European policies. But our commitment to sustainability cannot just stem from government initiatives, the involvement of citizens and other stakeholders is a must if we want to make our cities more sustainable and reduce CO2 emissions to the agreed level of 1,5 degree Celcius.
Since the 2018 call, there has been the arrival in 2019 of Greta Thunberg, the Fridays for Future movement and Extinction Rebellion. In February 2020 the Global Ecovillage Movement (GEN) had their "Communities for Future" event, which has grown from the ECOLISE project of same name. The GEN event ended up with 20.800 participants and 174 hubs from 211 countries!!
- Ecocity Curitiba blog post: Ecocity Curitiba: Greening the City, Connecting Communities, Curitiba 2017.
- Curitiba Ecocity Festival poster (in Portuguese)
- Ecocity Group Curitiba 2017, photographs by Lara Freitas, from Ecobairro São Paulo
- Audio report podcast in English
- Audio report podcast in Portuguese
- Video of opening night at Jupter
- Curitib Pelo Clima (Curitiba for the climate): #HackathonCuritiba = #RecreateYourCity #FixTheWorld #COP21 (November 2015) https://curitibapeloclima.wordpress.com/2015/11/28/hackathoncuritiba/
- Curitib Pelo Clima (Curitiba for the climate): Comunicação.. uma ferramenta para mudar o mundo (UFPR palestre, Nov 2015) (Communication.. a tool to change the world) https://curitibapeloclima.wordpress.com/2015/11/26/comunicacao-ufpr-palestre/
- NASA SpaceApps: The World's Largest Hackathon: A Recap of Space Apps Weekend 2017 https://2017.spaceappschallenge.org/blog/worlds-largest-hackathon-recap-space-apps-weekend-2017
- Lahti chosen as Europe’s green capital for 2021 https://www.goodnewsfinland.com/lahti-chosen-as-europe-s-green-capital-for-2021/
- Lahti European Green Capital 2021 Tweet: https://twitter.com/GreenLahti2021/status/1222132611721629696
- Lisbon is the 2020 European Green Capital Award winner! https://ec.europa.eu/environment/europeangreencapital/lisbon-is-the-2020-european-green-capital-award-winner/
- European Green Capital Network Launches Call for Action for Sustainable Cities https://ec.europa.eu/environment/europeangreencapital/european-green-capital-network-launches-call-for-action-for-sustainable-cities/
- Global Ecovillage Movement (GEN): Communities for Future Online Summit Our Response to the Climate Emergency https://ecovillage.org/event/communities-future-summit/
- Communities for Future Online Summit https://summit2020.ecovillage.org/
- Ecocity Curitiba: Greening the City, Connecting Communities, Curitiba 2017. Accessed Feb 17th 2020. https://ecocitycuritiba.wordpress.com/2017/07/26/ecocity-curitiba-2017/
- Curitiba Ecocity Festival poster. Accessed Feb 17th 2020. https://ecocitycuritiba.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/3-cartaz-pt.jpg?w=748
- Ecocity Group Curitiba 2017, photographs by Lara Freitas, from Ecobairro São Paulo https://www.facebook.com/lara.freitas.3979/media_set?set=a.1628695170505523&type=3
- Ecocity Group Curitiba on Soundcloud: Ecocity 2017 in Curitiba, a summary https://soundcloud.com/ecocity-group-curitiba/ecocity-2017-curitiba
- Ecocity Group Curitiba on Soundcloud: Ecocity Curitiba 2017, Relatorio https://soundcloud.com/ecocity-group-curitiba/ecocity-curitiba-2017-relatorio
- Ecocity Group Curitiba: Abertura Ecocity : Porque o lixo não existe! https://www.facebook.com/EcoCityGroupCuritiba/videos/1884100275199497/